Monday, August 31, 2015

I Am Not Special...



Well, I just got off the phone with the school psychologist at the Kindergarten Academy.  Wednesday morning at 8:30 am we will meet to complete the details of Brayden's 504 plan.

So thankful for this school and the fact that they are taking this condition seriously, and working hard to ensure Brayden's safety and well being this year.  However, whenever I hear myself say "504 plan" referring to my son, it makes me sad, and a knot forms in my stomach.  In my head this was never going to last this long.  It was supposed to be over by now, he was supposed to be fine when school started.

As a parent it is so hard to hand your child's medical care over to others, I was supposed to be spared this experience and these feelings...or so I thought.  I honestly don't know what made me think I was so special, that I wouldn't have to go through this, or that my children wouldn't suffer from a condition that would require special accommodations, just to go to school and do things that others don't even have to think about.

I know that we will get through this, I know it will make us stronger, and I know that there is a plan and a purpose for us, even if I don't see it right now.  It doesn't make it any easier, but I keep reminding myself of this.  I'm hoping it sinks in before the first day, when I walk him to school, and let go of his hand, let go of him, so that he can have the same experiences his brothers did before him. 

~ Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment