Friday, October 9, 2015

Kindergarten...The Good, The Bad, And The Funny!


So, Brayden has been in Kindergarten for a month now, and I figured, now is as good a time as any for an update on my little man!  I was very nervous about this transition.  Not so much the transition of being in school vs being homeschooled with me, but whether or not he would have spells, how they would be handled, etc.  Its had its ups and downs, as with anything, but we are working on adapting.  So here we go!!

The Good!

Brayden has adjusted to school life so well!  He loves going to school, loves his teacher and his aid.  Is making friends, and doing so well academically!  Hearing from his teachers what a sweetheart he is, isn't shocking to me, but so good to hear!  I credit all the visits to the school for orientations, meetings etc, for Brayden not having any separation anxiety from the first day of school on.  

More good news!  Brayden hasn't had one spell at school!  This is so wonderful to me, because my biggest fear was him suffering spells, and me not being right there with him, helping him get through it.  The thought of that was really breaking my heart before school started, so it thrills me that he hasn't suffered in school.

The Bad :(

I really don't want to spend too much time, on "the bad", however, in the interest of full disclosure, I think its important to list.  Since Brayden has started school, he has not had any episodes in school, which is great.  However, the amount of spells he's had outside of school, has increased.  In addition, I have been noticing abnormal events in his sleep.  Some I can tell are spells, which he used to suffer in his sleep when he was younger, others I can't tell if they are spells or not.  For those events which I can't tell, I find him tonic (stiff, and arched), there is no noticeable trigger, or cry, prior to this.  After the tonic spell dissipates, he begins experiencing myoclonic jerking/twitching.  He is not aware or noticeably awake during any of this.  Since this happens in the middle of the night, I am not aware of any color change in his skin.  On the mornings following these events, he is out of it, and miserable, and tends to have spells, or close calls before school, which makes it difficult for me to drop him off, not knowing what the day will bring for him.  The other dilemma that this presents for me, is whether or not I should call the doctor.  Here's why.  The last thing we were told, was that Brayden's seizures were BHS related.  However, with a past abnormal EEG, he is at a higher risk of developing a seizure disorder.  So, his neurologist told me it was not necessary to follow up unless I started noticing seizures outside of his BHS.  I'm hesitant because I'm not sure if these are actual seizures, as his eyes are not open during these events.  I'm also hesitant because now that he is older, I worry that putting him through more of these tests, and finding out they weren't necessary, will cause him undue stress and upset.  He's already been through so much, and it breaks my heart to think I have to make a decision to put him through more or not.

The Funny :)

The one thing I can say about my little man is that nothing stops him from enjoying life!  He is a big sweetheart, and incredibly entertaining!  One thing I have learned about him since starting school, is that he is also quite the ladies man!  I will start by sharing a conversation we had on the way home from school...

               Brayden:  mom, can Lilly com over sometime
               Me:  Sure, that's fine
               Brayden:  Lilly's a girl
               Me:  Yes, I can tell by her name, its a very pretty name
               Brayden:  She's a girl, and she's my friend
               Me:  (thinking to myself) Hmmm, are you trying to tell me something?

And that's where it started, lol!  A couple days after that, his aid told me that she thinks he has a little girlfriend, and told me how he looks after her, and when they go to lunch, he stops to see where she sits, so he can sit next to her.  This past Wednesday, I chaperoned a school trip of his, and I got to meet this little girl as she was in my group, and I must say, I can see why Brayden is her friend because she is such a sweetheart as well!  On the bus ride back to school, his teacher told me not to forget her when the wedding is being planned since that is where it all started, lol! 

Thanks for reading!  As always you can like my Facebook page, and follow me on twitter, by clicking on the links at the right!

~Jennifer








No comments:

Post a Comment